Connection of Helio Tools, AMDA & 3DView: CME impact on Venus and Earth
[Change Log](#Change Log)
To be updated...
|1||Keyuan Yin||Original site|
This tutorial gives an example of the interconnected use of HELIO Tools, AMDA/IMPEx functionality and 3DView/IMPEx functionality. The AMDA, as well as the 3DView part show new features in AMDA, which were implemented within the IMPEx FP7 project, i.e. the possibility of plotting simulation runs for given spacecraft side by side with observational data.
Searching for events in Helio. Using Search Events button to open new search.
Example(with picture attached):
20120610Z00:00:00 - 2012-06-15Z00:00:00
SOHO/LASCO CME Event List / pa_width>=270 : 1 CME
Extraction of time range, used as input for the Helio CME Forward PM
CME hits Earth, Venus, Pluto, Voyager1, New Horizons, Rosetta (see screenshot)
Plotting data in AMDA Comparison of model data with insitu data on this site.
a) Verification of CME impacts on Venus and Earth
Open the Plot Manager in AMDA: Use the time range as received via HELIO and extend it properly, i.e. the CME impacts at Venus and Earth should be visible (e.g. 2012/06/15 15:00:00 2012/ 06/17 05:00:00)
The following parameters may be selected (see screenshot below):
- VEXMAG data: Remote Data
- WINDMFI data: Local Data/WIND/MFI/mfi_high/b_gse
- CLUSTER1FGM data: Local Data/fgm_5vps/b_gse
Plot the data (see screenshot below). One can zoom into different time intervals to get a more detailed view on the data at Venus and Earth.
Selected Parameters Illustration:
The Venus Impact
Prepare another plot via the Plot Manager for the time interval of the CME impact at Venus (e.g. 2012/06/15 19:00:00 2012/06/16/ 13:00:00).
Compare observational data by VEX MAG with FMI HYB simulation run data (please be aware that the FMI HYB simulation runs are by now only for quiet solar wind conditions. The runs are within a range around Venus of x=[3,3],y=[4,4],z=[4,4]
Venus radii). Use the following data:
- VEXMAG data: Remote Data
- Via Create/Modify parameter one can also create the absolute
- value of the observed magnetic field (see screenshot below)
- runs for Venus under (Remote Data (Simulations))
- VEXMAG ephemeris data: Remote Data (Observations)/VexMag@Graz/VEX/Vex_mag/MAG_VSO/SC_POS_VSO
Plot the data. One can now zoom into the region, where the FMI HYB simulation run is plotted (see screenshot below).
Image illustration for creating the absolute value of the observed magnetic field:
Image illustration for zooming into the region:
The Earth Case
- The same can be performed for the Earth case within AMDA. One can use e.g. WIND data to obtain the CME outside the magnetoshpere and e.g. CLUSTER1 within the magnetosphere. CLUSTER1 data can then be compared with SINP paraboloid model for Earth. The SINP model performs the simulation on the fly i.e. the input parameters are parameters measured by the chosen spacecraft at the chosen time.
- Besides AMDA, one can also go to the 3D visualization tool 3DView and test the interconnectivity of AMDA & 3DView (see example in fourth step).
Fourth Step - Visualization within 3DView: IMPEx functionality within 3DView
The CME impact at Earth (Cluster1 & Geotail)
- Download and open 3DView
- File : New. Open File : Manage Scene within the new scene window and choose a. Time range: Start = 2012/06/16 00:00:00 & Stop = 2012/06/17 00:00:00 b. Choose Cluster1 and Geotail and start scene
- Load a. Science : Models : Magnetopause models / Shue, and b. Science : Impex tree
- Within the Impex tree choose a. Model data : FMI : GUMICS_Earth:run_000001 -> 3DCubes : MagneticField : traj interpol Bx,By,Bz and Add selected data to 3DScene (make sure that Geotail is the selected spacecraft) b. Observational data : AMDA : Geotail : MGF : mgf_preliminary : b_gsm and Add selected data to 3DScene c. One may additionally add Cluster1 data in the same way as described above
- The different parameters can be manipulated via Scientific Control Panels (see screenshot below). One can get to the control panels via Science -> Science data controls. Additionally further spacecraft can be added via File -> Manage Scene. Further data can also be added in the same way as described above.
- Within the science control one can also add a 2DPlot by clicking on 2Dplot on the respective Science Control Panel (see below screenshot)
PDF File exported from VESPA tutorial site. This site